The new year is upon us, and that means that things are bound to heat up in the world of pro wrestling as we look towards the Royal Rumble, and Wrestlemania 33.
With that being said, many fans will make their predictions for the year ahead. Some will be obvious, some will be ludicrous, and some will make some fans look like geniuses.
Let’s get in to some more left-field predictions for WWE in 2017.
1. Kevin Owens will turn babyface
Despite being such a great heel since arriving on the main roster and during NXT, a large portion of fans have always been behind him. He will find his feet as an anti-hero a la CM Punk in 2011.
2. A New Day member will win a singles title
Now that they have lost the tag titles, it’s time for one of the members to bring a singles title to the trio. Big E would be the ideal candidate-perhaps even a world title?
3. Luke Harper will win a singles title
The wild-card of the Wyatt Family deserves another chance at singles gold. Whether he is still with the Family or not doesn’t matter.
4. Mick Foley will lose his job as Raw GM
There has always been signs of dissension between Foley and Commissioner Stephanie McMahon-it will only get worse.
5. Braun Strowman will lose his first match…to Roman Reigns
It’s just too damn obvious. The seeds have already been planted, and you can bet the farm that the powers that be will want Reigns to be the one to end the monster’s reign of terror-perhaps at Wrestlemania 33?
6. The Revival will win the Raw Tag Titles shortly after they debut
Dash and Dawson can’t be too far from a call-up to the main roster, and they would be a huge boost to a repetitive Raw tag division. Look for them to beat Sheamus and Cesaro, perhaps even on debut the night after Mania.
7. Samoa Joe will debut on Raw and go on a long undefeated run
The former NXT champ is well overdue for a call-up to the main roster, and he will add a huge shot to the struggling Raw brand. Going on a monster run would be cool.
8. Three big men will call it a day
It’s probably about time that Big Show, Mark Henry and Kane call it a day on their legendary careers, and let the new crop of big men (Baron Corbin and Braun Strowman) take over.
9. Roman Reigns will be join forces with The Uso’s once again
Likelihood is that WWE will bite the bullet at some stage this year and turn Reigns heel. Would be cool to see him join up with his cousins once again-who gets drafted where doesn’t matter.
10. A UFC star will appear at Wrestlemania or Summerslam
Whether it be Ronda Rousey, Paige Vanzant or Conor McGregor, seeing one of UFC’s stars in pro wrestling would be a cool sight. Whoever it is though, they won’t have a match.
11. Shane McMahon will be left off the Wrestlemania card
With Brock Lesnar set for another battle with Goldberg, and Triple H looking set for a match with Seth Rollins, it would leave Shane O Mac without a dance partner for the grandest stage.
12. Tye Dillinger will debut in the Royal Rumble at No.10
This one practically writes itself, and would be a cool way to introduce the NXT veteran to the main roster audience.
13. The Wyatt Family will see a big restructure
With either Randy Orton or Luke Harper (or both) likely to leave the faction soon, Bray Wyatt will need to rebuild. Look for Mary Dobson to debut as Sister Abigail, Erick Rowan to return and Tommy End to join the Family.
14. Owen Hart will be inducted to the WWE Hall of Fame
It’s well overdue.
15. Kurt Angle will return for one last run
With his career well and truly in its twilight, Angle will come back. Look for him to perhaps topple with Rusev at some stage and maybe even challenge for a World title before riding off into the sunset.
16. Shinsuke Nakamura will stay in NXT until at least Summerslam
NXT is going to need to keep the King of Strong Style around for a while longer, as he is by far the biggest star in the developmental set up. Look for a huge debut when he does get the call-up though
17. Sami Zayn will be drafted to Smackdown Live and win the WWE Championship
It’s been no secret in kayfabe that Daniel Bryan wants the former NXT star on the blue brand. This will continue until he gets drafted there and he will then go on to dethrone whoever is champion by the end of the year.
What do you think will happen in 2017?